Thursday, March 17, 2016

An introduction

I've been listening to a lot of music lately and, after reading some bloggers and gaining insight from others' perspective, I decided to try this out on my own.

It might be a bit weird that I only start this up now. I grew up with most people knowing me as the guitar player and as that one guy who was going to be a famous rock star. Now, I haven't performed in a pretty long time, though, maybe(very big maybe, I'm not making promises) it could be something I could get back into if I can find the right people.

I'll throw in a couple posts about my experiences with music later, but, now, only a bit about me:

I do have a pretty diverse musical background. While most people would only ever really pick up a guitar and run with it, I actually started with a clarinet and I played that from the beginning of middle school to the end of high school. I've been in a couple of honor bands and a symphonic orchestra. I've been a part of a backup band in a musical call "Ain't Misbehavin'" And I played tenor sax for a while.

Now, I'm really more of a rock person. I'll admit that it all started with guitar hero, but I feel like I've branched out pretty well(even though I still find Guitar Hero and Rock Band insanely fun, even as someone who can play the guitar). I can play bass, enough keyboard that the music school I went to needed me to play a couple of songs on it, and just a little bit of drums but I really don't have a lot of knowledge on that instrument. And I also have some understanding over a bit of music theory that I hope I can convey in easy to understand ways.

It's sort of funny. This is probably the field where I have the most expertise in yet I've never started any sort of conversation with music. Music has usually been a pretty private experience for me. Usually, when I find new music I like, it's not something I can easily share as it seems to always go to "Sean, what the hell is this?"

It's okay though, I've had this experience with other people, so I hope I can help develop a conversation over what makes good music or why we like a certain song.

What can you expect from this blog? Well, opinions over popular music but I'm not sure if I can keep this up to date in terms of what's popular right now. I'll be super honest; me trying to keep up with what's popular all the time is going to leave me tired and depressed because, while there are good songs that get released every once in a while, I pretty much hate most of what gets released. But, if I ever have anything to say, you can trust that I'll put it here.

Others will be just music I'm currently listening to and what I think of some successful acts that I may or may not think deserve it. Also, it should force me to listen to music in which I might not usually listen to.

Anyways...I guess I should find like a music video to set things off...

Well, electro swing is apparently a thing. I find it pretty cool. Give it a listen!


No comments:

Post a Comment